DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Washington, DC 20314-1000
1 March 1998
Engineering and Design
DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT PRACTICES
FOR CONCRETE PAVEMENTS
1. Purpose. This engineer technical letter (ETL) provides guidance for managing the design and
construction of concrete pavements, including airfield pavements, roads, streets, parking areas,
vehicle and tank hardstands, tank trails and similar transportation surfaces
2. Applicability. This ETL applies to all HQUSACE elements and USACE commands having
military construction and design responsibility.
3. References. See Appendix A.
4. Distribution. Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.
5. Background. The referenced and other USACE criteria documents provide the technical
information required for design and construction of concrete pavements. Proper design and
construction management practices are essential for high quality pavements, but are discussed in
detail only in portions of the referenced documents. Due to declining numbers of personnel
trained and experienced in concrete paving design and construction practices, additional guidance
is necessary to assist those involved in managing those activities. In addition, using activities are
citing recent experience with some less than expected performance from concrete pavements.
Using activities are calling on all, including the Corps, to improve concrete pavement
6. Action. Pending publication of permanent guidance, the enclosed information is to be used to
assist the HQUSACE, major subordinate commands, district offices, and FOA in the management
of design and construction of concrete pavements.