24 Feb 99
(4) Outside Air Occupant Ventilation Rate. The outside air intake rate per occupant will
conform to ASHRAE Standard 62 and facility mission requirements.
D-8. Collective Protection Operation and Maintenance Requirements.
a. Control System Location. The CP control system will be located in the mechanical
b. CP System Operational Testing. Periodic CP system monitoring should be performed to
ensure it is in good operating condition.
c. Filter System. In addition to the manufacturer's recommended maintenance
requirements, the filter replacement and testing requirements discussed below should be followed.
(1) HEPA Filter. The initial resistance of the HEPA filter is typically 250 Pa (1.0 inch wg).
The HEPA filter should be replaced when it is loaded and the static pressure differential reaches
about 750 Pa (3.0 inches wg). The HEPA filter pressure drop will be monitored at the CP system
control panel with annunciation when the dirty filter pressure drop is reached.
(2) Adsorption Filter. The adsorber filter should be replaced as required in FM 3-4 and
mechanical leak tested with a fluorocarbon refrigerant gas after filter replacement.
(3) Airflow Testing. The filtration system airflow rate should be periodically tested and
rebalanced as necessary to maintain the design airflow rate.
(4) Filtration System Testing. The filtration system will be field leak tested by an
independent testing agency after installation. The system should also be mechanical leak tested
every 12 months and after replacement of the HEPA filter or adsorber filter. The design must
ensure that adequate filter access is provided.
e. Operating Instructions. Operating instructions will describe, in short and concise
language, the steps required to operate the CP system. All CP system control switches and
indicators will be clearly marked and identified.
f. Operation and Maintenance Manual. An operation and maintenance manual will be
provided and will contain system operating instructions, emergency operation instructions,
preventive maintenance information, troubleshooting, corrective maintenance, critical instructions,
and a spare parts list.